Call For Ideas: COVID-19 -- New Opportunities for Sustainable Cities
The Development Bank of Latin America has long been a partner of the Guangzhou Award Secretariat. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, more sustainable urban innovative solutions are in need of implementing. Thus, we encourage you to share your ideas and join this campaign!
Cities with a Future is an initiative led by CAF—Development Bank of Latin America in partnership with Foundación Avina, aiming to generate more sustainable urban policies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In order to promote the initiative, CAF is now welcoming new ides for sustainable cities under the pandemic with a new project called "Call for Ideas: COVID-19: New Opportunities for Sustainable Cities".
The call is extended to university students, professionals, non-profit organizations, members of civil society, community associations, and, in general, any individual interested in urban development and willing to share their ideas to help improve the post-pandemic reality of the region's cities. Ideas with the potential for implementation in CAF member countries may be presented by individuals or groups of individuals in Spanish, Portuguese, or English.
Applicants can be of any nationality and must be over 18 years of age. In the case of a group of people, one person must be named the "representative of the idea."
The Call is looking for ideas in a state of incubation that represent creative and innovative interventions, in favor of providing solutions to the different challenges that have been imposed on cities in the post-pandemic transition period. The proposed solutions must comprehensively consider elements related to at least one of the following urban aspects:
• Public spaces
• Spaces for collective use
• Informal settlements
• Non-motorized mobility
• Public transport
CAF expect to receive ideas germinated as a response to or as a consequence of the pandemic while going beyond the current situation, even addressing problems that existed before COVID-19. The present crisis is, in essence, an opportunity for the future .
Kick-off of the call for applications: October 23, 2020
Consultation period: November 2 –15, 2020
Close of the call for applications: November 27, 2020
Announcement of results: Two weeks after the close of the call for applications
The idea must be uploaded to the official contest website no later than November 27, 2020, at 11:59 pm (GMT-4), following the three steps indicated below:
• Complete the submission form : with all pertinent information about the person or team submitting the application and the general aspects of the idea. Specifically, the form will include a series of fields for answering the guiding questions posed in these rules with a specific number of characters for each response.
• Attach corresponding support material : up to a maximum of six Tabloid or A3-sized pages (300 dpi, in pdf or jpg format, 11" x 17") can be uploaded as reference material.
• Include the YouTube link to a presentation video of the proposal : the idea should be briefly and creatively described in a video no longer than 2 minutes.
Three proposals for each of the five aspects of the urban environment defined in these rules will be pre-selected and awarded a special commendation. Of the fifteen shortlisted ideas, the three best proposals will be awarded as follows:
• First Place: USD 10,000.00
• Second Place: USD 5,000.00
• Third Place: USD 3,000.00